Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Uses for Old Silverplate

I'm meeting with Susan Goodman on Monday to talk about doing her show, Room With a Past (roomwithapast.com) in Walnut Creek, California (she also does Paris Flea Market in Livermoore). This a monthly, indoor show and sale of all things shabby and vintage. I went to one of the sales on January 1st, and it seems like a really great bunch of creative and talented ladies. On New Years day, all the vendors were dressed in PJ's and they had a great brunch for the customers. I'm pretty excited about it, and I may even get to do the show on the 2oth. Needless to say, with most of my inventory still in storage, I'm busy trying to get ready. I've found a couple of good thrift stores and that has really helped.

There was a time, in our mothers and grandmothers day, when it was a must to have a silver or silver plate tea set and serving trays. Because of this, they can easily (and cheaply) be found at garage sales, flea markets and estate sales, and I always pick them up when I can find them. Unfortunately most people these days don't really see a use for them. I found two recently and decided to repurpose them.
The first tray was only $4.00 . I bought a clock kit at Michaels for about $4.00 (using a 40% off coupon). Since the numbers and hands were brass colored, I sprayed painted them black, which was the hardest part of the project. I did come up with a great way to spray paint small objects. I opened up a paper grocery sack, laid the pieces in the bottom of the bag and sprayed away. This kept the pieces from blowing away (been there done that!) and kept the paint from going everywhere ( have also done that) . I drilled a hole in the center of the tray and put the clock kit together. I didn't even need to add a hanger as the clock mechanism has one.



The second was a really nice, heavy, oblong tray. It had some large tarnished areas, and so was only $6.00 at another thrift store. I liked the tarnish, so I left it as is. I taped the edges and painted the center with blackboard paint. Add some wire to handles to hang and you have a functional and beautiful blackboard to post menus, schedules or appointments.



The small dress form was also a thrift store find. It originally was blue and pink, and was a little tired looking. I covered it in tan tissue that I had crumpled up and then smoothed out, adhering it with watered down white glue. When that dried, I added a twisty fabric rose, some ribbon, some crochet trim and a little paper collage. If you haven't done the twisted fabric roses, they are very fun and easy to do. Freckled Laundry (freckledlaundy.Com) has a great tutorial on making them.












1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're finding your way back into doing what you love in California! Let me know how the new market goes...pretty cool that it's indoor and every month! We miss you so much here! I inherited your old sink with the ticking skirt from Mel today for $10 LOL. I have always loved it ~ using it as a display piece in the corner of my nook/shop now : ) Love the clock you made...I have bazillions of those trays...might have to give that a shot! BIG HUGS! ~Des

    ReplyDelete